Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mi Primer Dia en La Republica Dominicana

First I would like to apologize for neglecting the blogger sphere for so long. I am still figuring out how I can have regular Internet connection without paying the $1,800 pesos (about $50 USD) of wireless every month, yes I am now thinking in pesos and not dollars because I have no choice!

My first official day at my new place was great. As I was walking towards the apartment, I noticed that there was a bright yellow Nissan SUV, exactly the same vehicle that my mother drives. Seeing this right before inserting the keys into my new lock, gave me a comforting feeling that I had arrived at the correct place. After inspecting the apartment and getting acclimated with my surroundings, I started up my laptop and attempted to borrow Internet connection from a neighbor. What did I see? The first and only name that pops up on the list of available networks has the last name Contreras. Weird. Unfortunately, her server was blocked, so I was unable to log on.

There are things that I will definitely have to get use to like the cold showers and the aggravating mosquitoes and ants. However, my apartment is amazing in its own unique ways. I can’t really compare it to an apartment in the US because I guess it just doesn’t compare. Things here are different and undoubtedly special, so instead of comparing them to what I had before, I simply embrace all of the particularities that I enjoy. It is a small place with a small kitchen, a living room, dinning space, two bedrooms, and a bathroom. I have decorated the walls with some of my pictures from my travels and some of the pictures I took of the Santo Domingo the last time I was here. Pasito a pasito...step by step.

No comments:

Post a Comment